A resident of Illinois died tragically after he developed severe respiratory illness subsequently of vaping, said the state Department of health (IDHP).
Last week it became known that in the USA more than 120 cases of lung disease may be associated with vaping. On Friday, August 23, IDHP issued a statement on the death of a man, and the seriousness of the situation in the state. According to the Department, the number of reported cases in Illinois involving people who used e-cigarettes or Napili, and then was hospitalized with respiratory diseases has doubled in the last week.
“A total of 22 people ranging in age from 17 to 38 years suffered respiratory illness after using electronic cigarette or vaping – says the Department. – IDHP working with local health departments to explore another 12 people“.
According to IDHP, the majority of victims had symptoms such as cough, shortness of breath and fatigue, and other fixed vomiting and diarrhea. The Department also argued that the deterioration took place over several days or weeks.
Although respiratory diseases, apparently related to the fact that the patient had previously used nicotine and/or THC containing products, health workers are unable to definitively determine the relationship, and whether a specific couple or electronic cigarettes cause health problems.
“The severity of the disease with which the people face, is alarming, and we must say that the use of electronic cigarettes and vaping can be dangerous,” – said the Director of the IDHP Dr. Ngozi Ezike in a press release.
Anyone who is experiencing chest pain or shortness of breath after using the vaping or electronic cigarette, is urged to immediately seek medical attention.