Here are the recipes that seem very complicated, but in fact it turns out that it was a mistake. Strudel applies specifically to them. I long avoided it because it seemed so thin to stretch the dough well, just unreal! As it turned out, subject to the recipe the dough is perfectly stretched. Of course, so subtly, how can the Viennese masters, one is unlikely to succeed, but certainly will not be worse than in most of our cafes, and most importantly — will definitely be delicious.
I have tried several recipes for strudel, and, in principle, all was happy. But somehow it happened that often made according to the recipe from the book of Hermes. Them I am with you and will share.
You will need:
200 grams of flour
45 g of sunflower oil
60 gr water
Pinch of sea salt
50 grams egg (1 small egg)
50 grams melted butter for greasing strudel
30g raisins (I take about 60)
30 g dark rum
130 g bread or biscuit crumbs
150 gr sugar
5 g of vanilla sugar
1.8 kg of apples (preferably sour)
Juice of 1 lemon
2 grams ground cinnamon
Whipped cream (I prefer cream)
How to cook:
1. To prepare the dough. In a mixer with a nozzle hook to mix flour, sunflower oil, salt, and egg until smooth (this takes 4-5 minutes). Flatten the dough into a ball, wrap in cling film and put into the refrigerator for at least an hour.
2. While the dough is in the fridge, prepare the filling. Wash apples and remove peel and core. Cut into thin slices. Place the apples in a bowl and mix with lemon juice.
3. In a separate bowl, mix 80 g of sugar with cinnamon and put aside.
4. As babies I often used bread, and the last biscuit was simply the remnants of the biscuit. With bread I like, probably more, but generally the difference is not critical.
Put the bread crumbs or biscuit in the pan and put on a slow fire. Add the butter, vanilla sugar and 70 grams of sugar (in the case of biscuit sugar I did not add it at this stage). Stir to melt the butter. Remove to the side.
5. After an hour from the dough, turn the oven on 200 degrees. Remove dough and roll it with a rolling pin, up to what thickness will work. Take a large tea towel and sprinkle it with flour. Put the dough on the towel and gently climbing hands down, stretch as thinly as possible. Ideally you want to make the rectangle 60 to 70 cm. the Dough should be almost transparent.
6. Coat the dough with part of the melted butter. Sprinkle mixture with bread crumbs across the surface, stepping on 6 cm from the edges.
Arrange the apples on top of crumbs. Sprinkle a mixture of sugar and cinnamon.
Drain liquid from raisins and put it randomly on top of apples. Wrap loose edges of the dough inside and cover themselves with a towel as tight as you can roll a strudel. (I want to note that on my photos strudel smaller than prescription. In that time I reduced the number of ingredients, but usually do not. The strudel turns out significantly more keep this in mind.)
7. Transfer the strudel with towels on a baking tray lined with baking paper or Mat. To be honest, this is one of the most complex things in this recipe.
Strudel is quite heavy, the towel is thin, it is necessary to act with extreme caution, it is best to move together with towel on the tray, and then how to roll and towel to clean up.
8. Brush with remaining melted butter and place in oven for 30 minutes. It should not be much brown.
Cool, cut into 12 pieces (I think it does not matter) and liberally sprinkle with powdered sugar before serving. Hermé recommends to serve with whipped cream. But for me, there’s nothing better than an Apple strudel with a scoop of ice cream:)
Save the article in social networks: