The new Yorker warns the others not to bite off more than they can chew.
In his post on Facebook, created on Saturday, a resident of Utica Kelly Marek described how after purchasing a few mini-pies at your local Walmart her 10-year-old daughter choked on an unexpected ingredient, which, as it turned out, was in one of her pies. “She started to choke and we found that Apple pie was the zipper”– wrote Kelly, sharing a photo of a large metal zippers.
The post has since shared more than 1,000 times.
News first shared by local radio station Big Frog 104, who added that the mother had to resort to the Heimlich maneuver to clear the airway daughter of the clasp. “Lucky I knew how to do instead of panic”,- said Kelly’s comments, noting that her daughter, whose name was not called, feels “normal now”.
Kelly called the local Walmart in Utica to speak with the Manager. “I was told that they will remove the pies from the shelves, call to head office and then call me back”,- she told Big Frog 104. “They never called me back and not removed the products from shelves. We don’t want to get anyone else hurt”.
The representative of the retail giant stated that they will investigate the incident. “We provide our customers with high quality products and take it seriously. We’re investigating this issue with the manufacturer, but this time as a precaution have removed products from the shelves in the store.”
It is reported that baking pies is not dealing with Walmart. As pointed out by the radio station, their supplies Massachusetts company Table Talk Pies. “Table Talk Pies contacted me and I’ll send a cake with the “lightning” further investigation”,- said Marek.
In a statement, The Post company President Harry Kokkinis said that the company imposes the highest requirements for food safety, including the careful control and use of the scanners and metal detectors to check products for foreign objects.