Amber Dean suffered a coronavirus in the form of light and her family of 5 were able to discontinue home quarantine when he was taken ill, her eldest son is 9-year-old Bobby.
“At first there was nothing serious, just a stomach bug, like he ate something wrong”, says amber, who lives with her husband and 3 children in the Hornell, the new York state. “But the next day he could not hold his stomach so sick that he could not sit”.
In the emergency room of the local hospital the doctors suspected an infection of the Appendix and sent him home, instructing to see a pediatrician. Later, the boy felt much worse, and the doctors realized that he was among a small but growing group of children with a mysterious syndrome that may be associated with a coronavirus.
The Governor of new York Andrew Cuomo on Tuesday said that the state is investigating about 100 cases of the syndrome affecting arteries and organs, and symptoms similar to Kawasaki disease and toxic shock. Three of the young resident of the state died from this syndrome and Cuomo has recommended that all hospitals put a priority on testing children who have the appropriate symptoms.
In new York, who reports that at least 52 children with this syndrome, mayor bill de Blasio on Tuesday urged parents to immediately call the pediatrician if children have symptoms such as fever, rash, abdominal pain and nausea.
That’s what the family of Bobby Dean did, although they live in the district Stuben, where only 239 confirmed cases of coronavirus and it is part of the state, where some jobs will open as early as Friday.
The family doctor conducted a test for the coronavirus the next day, after visiting a boy the emergency room, but the results were supposed to take 24 hours. But that night the boy had a fever, his swollen belly, he was dehydrated, and he was beating heart. His father, Michael Dean, took your son to children’s hospital Golisano Children’s Hospital in Rochester, 90 minutes from home.
“In the hospital they did an urgent test for the coronavirus and the response was very positive”, says amber. The next 6 days she stayed beside the bed of the child until Bobby was connected to wires and monitors. He returned home on mother’s Day.
“He never interfered with his respiratory system, he influenced his heart”, says Dean. Swollen lymph nodes led to pain in the stomach, she explains. “They hope that he’ll recover 100%, but there were occasions when children were left to live with the consequences of the disease”.