According to the Ministry of health of Florida, from a resident of Hillsborough County has discovered a rare, brain-eating amoeba. To save the man failed.
The victim, whose name was not disclosed, was infected by a parasite called Naegleria fowleri, which is found in the state are extremely rare. In 1962 there were only 37 such cases — which, however, does not diminish the dangers of the amoeba.
Typically, Naegleria fowleri is found in freshwater and can pose a threat to life, hitting in the human body through the nose. The parasite triggers the development of an infection called primary amoebic meningoencephalitis, in turn, destroys brain tissue. According to the authorities, the probability of infection is highest in July, August and September when the water becomes warmer.
The Department of health encourages local residents to use a nose clip while swimming in reservoirs in the framework of the precautionary measures.
“Contamination can be avoided, minimizing the chance of getting water in the nose, — experts explain — because the amoeba enters the body through nasal passages”.