Kato Lomb is a professional translator from Hungary, who owned many languages. Most of them she learned on their own, working exclusively with textbooks and fiction. Your method she outlined in the book “How I learn languages”.
Photo: GLOBAL LOOK press / REX Shutterstock
2. Never cram, memorize anything, not separately, in isolation from the context.
4. Try to mentally translate everything that is possible: flashing advertising panel, the inscription on the poster, snatches of overheard conversations. It is always rest, even for a tired head.
6. To learn stands firmly only that fixed by the teacher. Not re-read their own uncorrected exercises: repeated reading of text is stored inadvertently with all faults. If you are doing one, then vyuziva only obviously correct.
7. Ready-made phrases, idiomatic expression and remember write in the 1st person singular. For example: “I am only pulling your leg” (“I’m only teasing you”).
9. Don’t be afraid to say, do not be afraid of possible mistakes, and ask to have them corrected. And the main thing — do not worry and do not be offended if you really start to improve.
And finally: when 86-year-old Kato Lomb met her 54-year-old friend, she pronounced a pivotal to his life sentence: “Steve, you’re so young! So many years ahead, so many languages, you can still learn!”
Also see — Chuck Palahniuk, which must forget the writer