World

Avignon horror: Man with weapon shot dead by police hours after Nice terror attack

The man was shot dead in Montfavet, near the city of Avignon in the south of France. He was shot around 11.15am but it is not being treated as a terrorist incident.  After allegedly threatening the public with a weapon, police opened fire and killed the man according to Europe 1. 

An investigation has now been launched into the incident this morning. 

It has not been confirmed whether the man injured any members of the public before being shot. 

French press also reported a man was arrested on Thursday morning outside a church in Sartrouville, allegedly aiming to carry out an attack. 

The attack comes just hours after three people were killed in the French city of Nice. 

Nice’s mayor, Christin Estrosi claimed a terrorist attack occurred at the Notre-Dame basilica at approximately 9am this morning. 

He said: “My first words are compassion for the relatives and families of the victims and the parish community.

“And all the people of Nice who are in shock. Enough is enough.”

Speaking to Express.co.uk, World Head of the Ahmadiyya Muslim Community, Hazrat Mirza Masroor Ahmad, said: “The fallout from this heinous act has further exacerbated the tensions between the Islamic world and the West and between Muslims living in France and the rest of society.

“We consider this to be a source of deep regret and a means of further undermining the peace and stability of the world. 

“We must all join together to root out all forms of extremism and to encourage mutual understanding and tolerance.

“From our perspective, the Ahmadiyya Muslim Community will spare no effort in our mission to foster a better understanding of the true and peaceful teachings of Islam in the world.”

One victim of the Nice attack had allegedly been almost beheaded by the assailant. 

A second victim was also found dead in the church while a third was stabbed several times and died later of her wounds. 

France’s Prime Minister, Jean Castex told politicians, the security threat had now been raised to its highest level. 

He also said the country’s response to the attacks would be strong and robust. 

He added: “This act, which is as barbarous as it is cowardly, has plunged the entire nation into mourning.”

A witness of the attack in Nice told the BBC: “We heard many people shouting in the street.

“We saw from the window that there were many, many policemen coming, and gunshots, many gunshots.”

Mr Macron is thought to be travelling to Nice.

A guard was also attacked outside the French consulate in Jeddah, Saudi Arabia, today. 

A suspect was arrested and the guard was taken to hospital, although it is unclear as to the severity of his injuries. 

UK Prime Minister Boris Johnson released a statement condemning the attack in Nice today.

He said: “I am appalled to hear the news from Nice this morning of a barbaric attack at the Notre-Dame Basilica.

“Our thoughts are with the victims and their families, and the UK stands steadfastly with France against terror and intolerance.”

Today’s attacks come following the killing of Samuel Paty, 47 in Paris earlier this month. 

Source:

www.express.co.uk

Show More

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button

Please disable your ad blocker

We know you are here for the stories. Not the ads. But we need the ads to keep the lights on. So please whitelist Buzzon.live.