As always, there are scraps in any carpentry workshop. Cuts are different, small, large. Some of them go into products almost immediately, which is very profitable in jewelry, some stagnate. For a long time, two small pieces of ash have stagnated in my possession. At first I planned to put them into technical wood for all kinds of spacers and stops, but ash is too interesting for such purposes. Then I decided to make a small gift box for the ring in an interesting design. I would recommend this option for making gift boxes as the easiest and most suitable for learning this skill. Well, let's get started.
For the casket we will need :
• Three pieces of wood 1cm thick. In my case, it is ash and sucupira;
• Saw butt with a miter box;
• Emery wheels 150 grit and sandpaper 350 grit.
• Grinding machine
• Bamboo skewers;
• Brass screw;
• Mastic for wood.
First, I sawed off a square piece of sucupira. It will serve as the “walls” of the box.
It is not very convenient to manually drill hard rock with a forstner drill, so I decided to resort to a trick – to glue the block with the drilling area to an unnecessary bar and drill on it. I took the drill at 35mm.
Next, I marked the approximate center of the die along the diameter of the drill and went to drill. It is extremely inconvenient to do this without a drilling machine. The screwdriver strives all the time to get out of hand or spin a block with a die, again because of the density and heterogeneity of the wood. The drill bit in it terribly. Therefore, I do not advise you to keep such blanks in your fingers when working – it can twist and peel your fingers rather robustly, stuffing more splinters into them.
This the moment my battery in the screwdriver is discharged.
But after charging the battery, I finally defeated this die, and it flew off the bar as I planned.
But still there are traces of the bar, which I removed with a piece of tape 80 grit.
This On the same piece, I sanded the ash dies to make the parts fit better.
Then I cleaned 150 dies with an emery wheel.
Next, I decided to give rigidity to the box, namely, to glue it onto dowels. I made the dowels from bamboo skewers, as they are strong enough in small details and I am too lazy to go to the store for normal dowels or grind them out of beech, for example. I marked holes for them and drilled these very holes.
To my surprise, everything came together, and I glued the box with superglue. Yes, the dies have parted, but for this I took some wood with a reserve.
I also additionally pressed the dies on all sides in a vice with cedar pads so that they would not leave traces of strong pressing.
Now you need sand the inner walls of the container, as I forgot to do this before gluing. For internal sanding, I used a rolled disc of the same 150 grit. I also chamfered the edges of the walls.
Since I was too lazy to go for accessories for caskets, I decided to make the lid axial. That is, it will not open, but scroll. For the axle, I took an old brass screw, which I cleaned and polished beforehand.
The screw in such products is usually located from the corner, so I found the widest angle on the sucupira plate and outlined there hole. Well, he drilled it, of course.
Next, I roughly marked out and drilled this time through a hole in the ash lid. I also countersunk the hole so that the screw does not stand out too much above the cover.
Everything seems to be working, spinning .
Now it remains to bring the box to the form of a box. To do this, I sawed off the protruding parts of the ash with a saw on a miter box, and then brought the box to condition on a grinding machine.
Since this box is supposed to be a gift box, I decided to cover the bottom with felt in order to close this very bottom and not bother with grinding and finishing it. Well, so that it was civilized. I took the blue felt first, as it goes well with the overall color scheme of the box. To do this, I attached a sheet of felt to the open box and marked a circle around the edges with a pencil.
The felt turned out a little more, but it can be fixed with scissors.
I haven't glued the felt yet, because the product needs to be sanded clean. I first sanded with the same 150 emery wheel, and then went 320 with emery paper for a shine.
I covered the box with the same mastic for wood in a thick layer, but without fanaticism. The box itself should not come into contact with skin and moisture, so one greasy coating layer will be enough.
Then I carefully wiped the box with a clean rag and glued in a new piece of felt, this time brown. Looks more presentable with him. I glued it to a rubber glue like a moment. There is no load on the felt, so I didn't bother with gluing. The main thing is that the felt doesn't stick right away, because you won't be able to put it on the bottom with all the will.
And so, finally, I screwed on the lid. The box is ready. By the way, I re-ground the screw to 600 grit due to scratches on the polishing, both future and existing ones.
Here's a box. Its size is ideal for rings of different sizes, small pendants and any gift small things. This type of product is well suited for novice carpenters, even without machines. The creation, of course, can take all day (it took me several working hours), but the result is definitely worth it. I am also very pleased with the way the wood on this product was revealed – despite the absolute difference in the types and origins of the breeds, the box looks harmonious and the breeds have even become somewhat similar, especially on the longitudinal side. In general, a pretty good job turned out.
Good to everyone!