Initially, I was not very worried about this, I just carried airplanes in bulk.
But one day it was damaged in transit and instead. To calm down before the starts and meditate quietly on the sidelines, he hastily repaired the airplane.
Of course I had time for the starts, but as the athletes say, “concentration was lost.”
Teams brought their planes to the competition in different ways.
Sometimes just in a box of suitable sizes.
There were also more capital structures.
For some time earlier, I made quite large security safes. The models were made non-separable, they are large. About 100 by 110cm.
As a construction material, I used double cardboard from packages of refrigerators and insulation twenty millimeters thick.
Glued the bottom, on it I installed the model on the slipway and simply wrapped it in cardboard.
Such an armored contraption helped me a lot. I went to competitions and flights, as a rule, in one person. As a staunch individualist anarchist.
After transportation, it turned into a comfortable table for work and preparation for flights.
The box was a wonderful fit into the car. But nothing else could fit.
And since recently we have been going to competitions as a team, the crisis of free space in the car has risen upside down.
As a rule, we go to competitions and there are several models, plus equipment, exercises, tables, chairs, etc. .
Therefore, it was decided to drastically reduce the dimensions of the models and, consequently, the packing boxes for transportation.
Airplanes have undergone modernization. Removable wings are made. Fixed on the slipway, it already had quite acceptable dimensions for transportation.
I have accumulated enough cardboard for other projects. But … reluctantly, I ate the inventory. I chose the best plates and put them aside for long-term storage. the rest went to packing boxes.
The manufacturing principle did not change. I set the plane fixed on the slipway on cardboard and use a square to draw the contours of the bottom of the box. With minimal allowances relative to the model. The square was not high enough for normal marking. Glued an additional 50 cm ruler.
I will assemble the structure with a thermal gun. Fast and convenient. The bond strength is quite satisfactory.
I measure the length of the strip along the bottom contour and cut a strip of maximum size to the desired height.
Then you need to bend side for gluing. I mark it on cardboard and use the back of the tweezers to form a groove as a fold guide. Then I gently bend along the markings.
Using a heat gun, I glue the bent side in place. By this principle, I completely assemble a box for this airplane.
To attach the slipway with the installed model, I cut out the fixing bars from the insulation. Having installed the model, I mount the bars with a thermal gun.
There is a risk that the foam will melt with glue. Therefore, I apply the glue from the thermo gun to the cardboard, after waiting a couple of seconds, when it cools down a bit, I glue the foam.
I fix the slipway on the fixing bars with needles.
After making all the boxes, lids are needed. I mark them in place. Because there are always some size discrepancies. Each lid to a particular box.
To give rigidity, I make the edges of the lids double. I skim the lines and gently bend a long strip.
But there is a subtlety.
The cardboard strip is a little springy. I roll it around with a hand dumbbell pancake to reduce this effect.
Then I glue the place of the fold with a thermal gun, press it with a massive metal bar.
After making all the sides, I make one side along the length of single-row cardboard. Without bending it. It is designed to be glued to the box. I glue the corners of the lid.
For ease of carrying, I made handles with holes. As a reinforcement of this element, I used side plywood from fruit boxes. I marked the place on the lid, applied titanium. turning the lid over and pressing this place with weights.
I put the cover back in place. I glue everything with a thermal gun.
To strengthen (the hinge, so to speak), I grab the cover from the inside with strips of adhesive tape. I additionally roll the scotch with an iron.
There was not enough cardboard for one of the covers. Made it piece by piece. First one half, then the other. I figured out the dimensions for the box, drew a gluing line. Then he glued it with titanium and then pressed it with weights.
The big box was not needed in this situation with collapsible models. I decided to disassemble it to make another one.
Cut it in pieces very neatly. On the bottom I marked the installation site of the new model, cut it to size.
You can see in the photo how much the package size has decreased.
I rearranged the walls and glued them to the bottom with a thermal gun. During this action, he applied glue to cardboard so as not to accidentally melt the foam.
The result is three boxes.
Now they enter the car, tightly. There is practically no room left in the trunk.
But .. these are THREE planes in the car, not one. And also folding tables and chairs fit.
This method was successfully tested during training. .
Well, well, I am pleased with the modernization of aircraft and means of transportation.