The white house on Monday unveiled its draft budget for 2020 – amounting to $4.7 trillion. In its budget request, the President, Donald trump has appealed for $8.6 billion on the construction of the wall on the border with Mexico to reduce illegal immigration.
As the correspondent of “voice of America” Ken Bredemeier, trump’s demand to allocate funds for the construction of the wall heralds a new battle with lawmakers in the coming months of the third year of his presidency. Prominent members of the Democratic party, immediately promised to block the funding of the wall.
Budget plan trump also calls for a 5 percent increase in funding for the Pentagon and 5 percent reduction in its non-military expenses, but not for the budget cuts popular programs in health and pensions. Military expenditures are proposed to increase from 715 to $750 billion.
According to a senior administration official, the plan calls for cuts in many programs that the White house considers “wasteful”.
Despite this, according to the forecasts of the administration, the budget deficit in the next fiscal year will be $1.1 trillion.
Trump lost the first round of the fight with Congress about funding wall: legislators refused to allocate funds specifically for this project, although it has allocated $1.4 billion for the construction of the barrier. In the end, trump declared a state of emergency to get money to bypass Congress, using funds from other sources.
This week, the Senate may follow the House of representatives to adopt a resolution on the abolition of a state of emergency, although, apparently, in Congress to gain two thirds of the votes to overcome a likely presidential veto. Against the state of emergency was also filed numerous lawsuits.
The speaker of the house of representatives Nancy Pelosi and the democratic leader in the Senate, Chuck Schumer in a joint statement expressed hope that the President “learned his lesson” after a long suspension of the Federal government, which was triggered by a dispute over the funding of the wall.
According to them, trump “harmed millions of Americans and caused widespread chaos, irresponsible allowing a “shutdown” in an attempt to get their costly and ineffective in the wall.” “Congress refused to Fund his wall, and he had to admit defeat and to resume the work of the government. The same thing will happen if he will make a new attempt” – said in a statement.
However, the White house adviser on the economy Larry Kudlow said that the call for trump to build a wall justified, although polls show that a majority of voters against the initiative. Acting Director of the office for administrative Affairs and budget Russ Vogt called the budget plan trump’s “the epitome of fiscal responsibility.”
The request of the President said Secretary of state Mike Pompeo. “Today the President trump has requested $40 billion in the 2020 fiscal year to the budget of the Department of state and U.S. Agency for international development (USAID) – said in a statement the head of foreign policy Department of the USA. This request reaffirms the commitment of the President to protect our country and to put [the interests] of America in the first place.”
According to Pompeo, “the budget focuses resources on the protection of U.S. citizens, improving the welfare of America and support our allies and partners.” The budget for the year 2019 exceeds $4.4 trillion, and the deficit is expected to reach $1 trillion – largely due to cuts in taxes that trump held in 2017. In addition, there are signs that U.S. economic growth last year amounted to 2.9 percent, slowing down.