SINGAPORE – Singapore Polytechnic chairman and Nominated MP Janet Ang has been appointed the brand new chairman of the Public Transport Council (PTC), turning into the primary girl to head the 17-member group which regulates MRT and bus fares.
She replaces former senior district decide Richard Magnus, whose demise of a coronary heart assault in March had left the place vacant.
As PTC chairman, Ms Ang will oversee fare critiques in a post-Covid-19 world, the place ridership patterns could be considerably modified.
Transport Minister S. Iswaran on Tuesday (April 26) appointed her, together with 15 different members, to the council for a three-year interval from May 1 this yr to April 30, 2025.
The Transport Ministry mentioned Ms Ang will proceed the legacy of the late Mr Magnus in conserving public transport fares reasonably priced whereas guaranteeing the long-term monetary sustainability of the general public transport system.
Apart from being Singapore Polytechnic’s chairman, Ms Ang is Singapore’s non-resident ambassador to the Vatican and chairman of the National University of Singapore Institute of Systems Science and Sistic.com
She holds positions on numerous boards, foundations and councils.
Formerly IBM’s vice-president for Asia-Pacific, she spent 10 years on worldwide assignments in Tokyo and Beijing.
Of the 15 members appointed to the PTC on the identical day, 5 are new, changing 5 members who’ve all served a minimum of two phrases.
The PTC contains leaders in tutorial establishments, enterprise, grassroots organisations, labour unions and skilled companies.
The 5 newly appointed members are:
– Ms Ku Geok Boon, chief government of SG Enable;
– Mr Benny Lee, principal personal secretary to Singapore’s president;
– Mr Mak Mun Whai, normal secretary of the National Transport Workers’ Union;
– Mr Naseer Ghani, chairman of the West Coast Community Club Indian Activity Executive Committee; and
– Mr Tan Soo Nan, government and non-independent director of Raffles Medical Group and Raffles Health Insurance.
– Ms Chua Lee Hoong, senior director of the Resilience Policy and Research Centre within the Prime Minister’s Office – National Security Coordination Secretariat;
– Ms Anne Chua, chief monetary officer of Daiwa House Asset Management Asia;
– Mr Adrian Chua, deputy secretary for trade on the Ministry of Trade and Industry;
– Mr Fang Chin Poh, a former normal secretary of the National Transport Workers’ Union; and
– Dr Kwoh Chee Keong, chairman of Keat Hong Citizens Consultative Committee.
The different 11 members of the brand new PTC are:
– Mr Abdullah Shafiie Mohamed Sidik, chairman of the Siglap South Community Centre administration committee;
– Dr Lynette Cheah, affiliate professor of engineering techniques at Singapore University of Technology and Design;
– Dr Vincent Chua, retired affiliate professor on the Singapore University of Social Sciences;
– Ms Lee Huay Leng, editor-in-chief of the Chinese Media Group at SPH Media;
– Mr Lim Bok Ngam, member of the event mission advisory panel on the Ministry of Finance;
– Mr Lim Boon Wee, deputy secretary for companies on the Ministry of Education;
– Ms Nadia Ahmad Samdin, an affiliate director at TSMP Law Corp;
– Mr Tan Kim Hong, PTC chief government;
– Associate Professor Patricia Tan, from the division of accounting at Nanyang Business School in Nanyang Technological University;
– Mr Thuvinder Singh Bachan Singh, normal secretary of the Union of Telecoms Employees of Singapore; and
– Mr Yeo Teck Guan, senior group director for public transport on the Land Transport Authority.
In its assertion asserting the appointments, the Transport Ministry additionally paid tribute to Mr Magnus, who was PTC chairman from May 1, 2014, till his demise on March 14, for spearheading main critiques of the general public transport fare method to higher replicate rising community capability and altering ridership.
Between 2012 and 2013, he led the fare evaluate mechanism committee, which finally launched two new concession schemes for low-wage employees and folks with disabilities.